Basket ball.

Found it on my thumb drive.
The table top basketball game is one of those ideas I have written and deleted several time over the years.
I have a board drawn up, I have pieces built, but it's the die mechanic and the game play that has killed the idea more than once.

a game that looks to simulate a sport is tough. Sports are visual, visceral, exciting. A player has to be a certain type of sports fan to want to boil that down to purely tactical x and o’s. I have to face it any table top game of basketball I create is not going to have the thrill of watching a player swoop down the lane and dunk.
The reward for the players has to be getting the most out of each procession, being efficient, basically not playing form the stance of being a fan or player but, playing from the stance of being a coach.
With that said the rules have to be detailed enough to be realistic (offer realistic tactical tradeoffs and risk vs. reward), and fluid enough that the game still feels like basketball and not fell like some game played by people wearing  concrete boots.
So without further ado, here is the dice mechanic I found wallowing in a dusty corner of my thumb drive..Yes this is seriously the whole document; I’m not even sure where I was going to go from here.

General rules:
4 D10
Stats are rated 1 to 9 with 9 being the best

Roll under the appropriate stat. Is a success
Roll of 0 (aka 0) “explode” and are rolled again

Contested rolls both players roll 4D10 vs an attribute if the defender scores more successes the action goes in his favor.
If the offensive player roll more successes the action end favorable to him.
Ties have special results.
Shooting
The player must roll below his shooting % from the proper distance. 2d10

A defender may roll up to 4d10 vs his defensive stat each success represents 5% off the shooters % chance of making the shot.

Shrug who knows perhaps I will get back to it one of these days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Kickstarter from the smallest of fish..

A long look at ADnD 2nd ed, Players Options Spells and Magic.

WISH, not the spell. 2023 Year in Review