Day Two and Three of the 30 days of D&D , blogg-o-palooza

Day two and three of the D&D writing month..

I started writing about my favorite race, (for the record Dwarf) and then I started thinking how for me favorite race is linked forever linked to favorite class.
A stout grumpy dwarf fighter is by far my favorite thing to play. Hands down, game over man.
I think the reason is this, if they could package any class race combo as “working class hero” It would be a dwarf fighter.

Every player comes to the the table with their own definition of “hero.” The hero archetype is ingrained in our psyche from millennium of storytelling and tradition, then it is informed during our youth by experience and observation. Eventually everyone develops his or her own view of what is good, righteous and right, in short our own vision of heroic.

For me it has always been the working class underdog who overcomes adversity based solely on dogged determination, the guy who gets up every day and goes to work for the better good. The guy who does not look to fight but by god when he does get the hell out of the way.

In Ad&D nothing encompasses that more than a solid dwarf fighter. With their traditions of hard work hearth and home, their value system of hard work and loyalty, and their physical prowess in battle they make the perfect stout angry underdog.

Yes my favorite race is dwarf, and my favorite class is fighter.
Perhaps it's because I'm simple.

On the other hand, I think it might be because the real world is so complicated, sometimes it's so much easier just to put your head down and get the job done. 
One Hammer blow at a time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on Kickstarter from the smallest of fish..

A long look at ADnD 2nd ed, Players Options Spells and Magic.

WISH, not the spell. 2023 Year in Review